Hello everyone! This is my 3rd nomination for a blog award and lots of thanks to lovely Shiroyuni for considering me. Here are my answers and facts!
1. What made you start this blog?
My mom is the person who encouraged me to read a lot and thanks to her I had the chance to read many different writers, I eventually became a literature lover. I think loving literary works comes with desire to write as a package. Adding my fascination to cartoons and anime to the equation, I always wanted to write my opinion on the media I consume regularly. I got the courage from reading another blogger, too bad -for you- she writes in Turkish only. So, here I am.
2. What do you hope to achieve with this blog?
Engaging in conversation, even though we have different opinions, is really important to me and rather than this blog being the ultimate goal as itself, its purpose, for me, to create a medium to exchange opinions and talk, in addition to creating a chance to read others’ posts as well. Personally, rather than just writing what I like and don’t like all the time, I try to analyse and do further readings on the subject that I’d like to argue (as in, doing a feminist reading of women’s armor in anime or our perception of judgement, what is right or wrong and where does it stand in Psycho-Pass etc.-all the things I plan to write on in near future ^^). This way, we won’t only argue on a specific example, rather on more broad topics. At least, I hope that I’ll be able to write in a more inviting way so people will consider raising their opinions on it.
3. What are your other hobbies other than manga/anime?
When I started university, I enrolled in university’s theater club and I’ve been in it ever since (that makes 8 years). Another hobby of mine would be kendo (a Japanese martial art) that I’ve been doing for 4.5 years. Other than these, I can play flute, like to read, sometimes draw or make stamps, though they are not as consistent as theater or kendo.
4. What is the meaning of life?
You tryin’a kill me or what! xD Massive changes in society can only happen when the conditions are too extreme, so I personally think that’s a bit unlikely to happen. What I try to achieve in life is, to try to be more open and sensitive towards others, to produce whatever I can and engage with people around me. I am a person who’s on “If everyone cleans their own doorstep, the world will be cleaner.” side of things, thus if I can be successful in even the littlest thing, it will contribute to whole.
5. What are your favorite anime genres?
I enjoy mecha, gag comedy, drama and romantic stories (though I have hard time finding one to my taste.)
6. What things are most important to you?
Hmm, I don’t have any possessive feelings towards anything or anyone, apart from my books and the things I have been given as a present. Though of course, I highly value my friends, family and my cat. This is my cat 99% of the time : ლ(●ↀωↀ●)ლ *gimme fooood*
7. What do you think about what I said in the above facts 4 to 6? (hehe :D)
I am not a picky reader myself, I try to read whatever comes to my feed. Sometimes I keep the long and with more heavy-content ones for later if I am busy or don’t have the energy to spare. However, as we chatted somewhere in comments section, I agree with you on blogger interaction, because I think that’s what blogging is for. We are on the same page with this one. (◦˘ З(◦’ںˉ◦)♡
8. What are your 2016 New Year Resolutions?
Excel in being a good housewife! Seriously, I am trying to be an academic in Physics and it’s tiring me out. Not because Physics is hard or I don’t particularly enjoy it; because it is hard to earn money out of it for a long time. My job is to study yet nobody is paying me for that. It’s hard to find a scholarship and convince my parents on what I do, that I am actually really trying. This year I will try not to turn into a hikikomori and run away from harsh reality. I am not doing good as of now. xD
9. How do you choose new anime to watch?
When the new season starts, I watch every anime’s first episode. I know there is a 3 episode rule but I personally think that if a show can handle story-telling in a way that leaves viewers in waiting for the new episode, no matter how crappy the content is, I will most probably watch that show because I will wonder what will happen next even though I’ll curse it in the mean time. If I don’t enjoy the first episode I drop it. Later on, these series come to my mind and I give them one more chance, but they fail again, most of the time.
Okay, there was one time, in desperation, I started to check every title alphabetically on a anime-sharing site… I would read the description and if it catches my attention I would watch it. There were a couple of nice catches (Shigurui, for example) but most of the time I go to bloggers’ pages whom I trust in their tastes.
10. What are your pet peeves? (I love this topic lol)
Hahaha uuhh. Sadly, I may have a lot… For example, during a conversation, when I am trying to talk about an issue but the other person insists on taking it the wrong way.
Me : Okay, so about this plate, it is made of glass and…
My pet peeve : Yeah but you see, this is the fork that I’ve been meaning to… *blahblahblah*
I’m like “What the hell man, I’m not talking about a fork!” yet they go on about the fork and the subject slowly dissolves in infinity… It is so futile and makes me furious, I cannot even…
Eventually, the most annoying thing is that even though I KNOW that I shouldn’t be angry about these things I cannot control being angry and then I get angry at myself.
11. What is your favorite country and why?
I am living in İstanbul, Turkey and I had limited chance to go abroad. I visited, Thessaloniki in Greece, Lyon in France and Tokyo in Japan, all thanks to kendo seminars and competitions. Even though I hate a lot of things here, I feel culturally tied to Turkey. The food is great, the sea is nice (ahahah it sounded like the anime characters choosing the schools that are near their homes). Among the three cities I’ve been to, I only missed Tokyo and I’d like to seriously live there, even if it’s a short period of time (like 2-3 years). Of course, for *ahem* scientific purposes.
And, moving onto the random facts:
- I define myself as a polyamorous, pansexual woman. So many definitions…
- I have a tattoo of a Lissajous curve on my right forearm. Again, for scientific purposes…
- I don’t know how to ride a bicycle.
- I never had any traumatic event of any sorts but swimming free style or basically lying face down on water is so frightening for me. I was even in a swimming club during middle school, but swam backstroke or breaststroke the whole time.
- I have a big brother.
- I really like cooking ! (*•̀ᴗ•́*)و ̑̑
- My top three writers would be Virginia Woolf, Anais Nin and Sabahattin Ali (Turkish novelist).
- I hate dairy products apart from yoghurt, I especially loathe cheese because of its smell. I cannot even touch it because it feels like the smell will never wear out from my hands.
- I am very sensitive to smell, generally.
- I literally go crazy, start itching and if it’s very extreme, rashes appear on my skin when I hear someone breathing in disorder (like when they get sick or snore) or they make too many noises when they eat. I learned a couple of months ago, what I have was a neurological disorder called misophonia. One lives and learns something new every day. ~
- I am a night person. During the day, I cannot accomplish shit.
Hopefully I managed to entertain you with my awkward facts, even if a little! All that is left is to list my questions and find blogs to nominate!
- What motivated you to start up a blog?
- What do you hope to achieve with your blog? (Sorry these two questions seem like a rip-off but I’m really curious about others’ motivation. ^^’)
- Do you own any anime/manga merchandise?
- What is your take on reading unlicensed fan scanlations? As in, do you think it harms the Japanese market.
- How do you choose what to write on?
- Which anime would you recommend to a newbie?
- Do you play any console or PC games? Your favorite?
- Have you ever fallen in love with a fictional character?
- Do you have a senpai you admire and aspire to in the blogging world?
- How do you relate and engage in with the other members of otaku culture? You may choose online, real life or both engagements.
- Are there any posts that it seemed good when you published it but now you kind of wish you didn’t post when you look back?
My nominees are :
Yaoi Releases (they were nominated for it before I think but still, as a thanks for the hard work, I’ll put the blog here!)
I would like to bid you farewell with a new group that I’ve come across yesterday. You can listen to them on Spotify if you enjoy. Until theeen!
(⁎ ✪͡ ◡͐✪͡ ⁎)ﾉ”